Rover V8 Hotwire Complete Upgrade Kit
Fuelling and ignition upgrades - get your engine running right.
What is this listing for?
A complete upgrade kit suitable for all Hotwire Fuel Injected engines, designed to give you the ultimate in fuelling efficiency, plus massively enhanced ignition resulting in far better, cleaner combustion for a smoother running and a more responsive, smoother, more powerful and more economical. It sounds too good to be true, but the results have proven themselves time and time again in everything from Range Rovers to Westfields.
ECU Tornado Chip Upgrade
- New Tornado 14CUX Hotwire ECU Chip.
- One Security Decoder socket chip - Necessary to decode the information on the Tornado ECU Chip.
- Complete fitting instructions and assurance of thousands of bespoke chips sold over many years.
'Adjustable regulator and gauge'. -
- New Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator - With fuel rail adaptor and fitting kit.
- Fuel pressure gauge - Fixes to the regulator itself for easy setup.
- Complete instructions showing how to fit this regulator and adjust correctly.
Ignition System upgrade, 'Complete Kit'. - Click here for more detailed info
- A Brand new distributor including drive gear, cap, rotor arm and vacuum advance.
- RPi's in house developed unique high power A&R Ignition Power Amplifier.
- A bespoke Set of 8.0mm Magnecor plug leads including the coil lead (please tell us the model you require them for).
- A Bosch appropriate coil, matched to our amplifier. (Genuine is best with this system, we do not recommend gimmick coils)
- Full Engine set of eight NGK BP6ES Spark Plugs the best for all round efficiency and reliability (also avoiding gimmick short lived plugs).
Fuel Maps & ECU Chipping - Hotwire Tornado Variant.
(Far more important than you might have considered!)
We have supplied literally thousands of Mark Adams bespoke V8 EFi Chips thus you can be assured of gaining all you need without the extra hassle of visiting a rolling road.
The Tornado variant ECU chip. Suitable for the 14CUX Hotwire EFi system found on TVR's, Morgans, Land Rovers, Range Rovers and many kit cars. If you have the later Sagem (Gem's) EFi system please visit our shop for the correct chips.
Full control of the fuel map is contained within this innocent looking EPROM (Chip). It contains all the fuelling, RPM & fuelling Load Map information, and instructions required to run your engine.
To understand better how it works you must understand that, although your engine needs to run at varying RPM, it also has an extra factor to be considered - Engine Load. This can be considered as the difference between part-throttle cruising or full-throttle accelerating or pulling.
When you are on part-throttle cruise driving mode, with Optimax or Tornado the fuel mixture will run slightly lean, giving you the best possible economy.
As you demand higher & higher load performance, such as under hard acceleration and load pulling, the Optimax and Tornado will allow it to run richer, and give you the best possible performance both without losing sight of efficiency.
With over 120 load/rpm adjustments, the Optimax and Tornado are streets ahead of any competition. (most of which just target more BHP with more fuel dumped in at high RPM).
Why Re-Chip anyway?
- As an essential basic upgrade for engine economy and efficiency;
- When converting to a large capacity and/or performance tuning;
- Seeking maximum engine economy/efficiency;
- Lowering engine temperature & avoiding block cracking;
Dealing with Fuel Maps.
- The Chip that controls the engine's fuel map is easily located and replaced;
- The Optimax or Tornado chips will add substantial increases in economy, throttle response and pulling power to your vehicle, and in most cases are the ideal upgrade;
For fitting instructions, please click this link to our website here.
Chip Identification and replacement details.
All the following information assumes you have the Hot Wire injection system.
Please check if your ECU type is 14CU, or 14CUX (14CU is normally American export only and currently cannot be chipped)
To be able to supply the correct family of chip we will need to know some information from inside the ECU itself. Inside there is a small chip with MVA**** on it. We need to know the rest of the numbers and letter.
If your ECU does not have a socket at present, we can supply one of these free of charge. (fitting service available, please enquire).
Fully Tested for almost all V8 engine needs.
Our Tornado & Optimax ECU Chips have been extensively developed on vehicles under exacting Rolling Road conditions, thus ensuring perfect fuelling throughout the rev range of almost any V8 Engine, and should be seriously considered as an important part of your vehicle's needs.
The following are just a few advantages and adjustments you can expect to have gone into all our ECU Chip upgrades
- Engine Temperature Map: Decreased cold and warm up fuelling to reduce the risk of flooding.
- Throttle Response: Quicker throttle response.
- Airflow Meter Scaling: Vital for good drivability and fuel economy, especially on large capacity engines. Allows correct control of part throttle fueling.
- Re-profiled Fuel Map: Provides good fuel economy on part throttle, and allows engine to rev more freely, (standard profile reduces fueling heavily after 4000rpm).
- Idle Speed: Lifted to give smoother idle.
- Throttle overrun braking: Increased engine braking.
- Removal of road speed limit: Standard 113mph road speed limit removed (Range Rover only).
- Cranking Fuel: Reduced risk of flooding, starting delay to allow oil pressure to build before starting
Included in the auction is;
- 1 Mark Adams dedicated fuel map chip (EPROM chip).
- 1 Decoder socket to protect our software avoiding license charge.
- Installation is simple but we also supply simple Colour fitting instructions.
- Our unique 3 month return to base 'No Quibble' Warranty.
- For fitting gems chips we offer also video instructions.
Brand new FSE Fuel pressure Complete with pressure gauge
What does it do and how does it do it?
The adjustable fuel pressure regulator allows you to accurately set the fuel pressure to the correct value, eliminating the problems caused a tired, standard regulator, most of which are 20 years old or more by now. Having the correct fuel pressure can solve a number of running faults from misfires to poor idles, and can even boost efficiency, torque and driving experience of your engine.
So simple its easily a DIY classification.
The power boost regulator is also very simple to install in most instances. Universal fitting instructions are provided/included and we always offer a great back up information/advice email service too, but seriously though, they are no great problem to fit.
These units are 100% mechanical and are considered maintenance free with a life expectancy exceeding ten years of normal use.
How it works! Simplified!
Why it is possible to achieve so much from such a simple enhancement is easy to understand when appreciating inbuilt manufacturers compromise's considering there commercial / financial needs to build engine's that will always operate in all the Worlds extremes. Perhaps at the highest of altitudes in the Andes or the lowest of temperatures in Iceland. There is also an element of manufactures underhanded trimming of fuelling to suit themselves this is most prominent in the mid range cruise areas of most modern V8 fuel maps, due their need to falsely promote fuel economy beyond belief, for sure a good marketing ploy to sell cars rather than to provide the customer with the optimum from the car he has purchased. Thankfully the power boost regulator will overcome these inherent short-comings with ease.
On acceleration from standstill (inducing maximum load), the power boost valve fuel pressure response will increase at 1.7 times the standard rate. This will achieve a healthy fuel mixture strength which will instantly improve engine response & driveability under acceleration and all demanding driving situations. In addition the refined lean and cruise fuel pressure control will further provide you the best economy you have ever had with more potential power gains too, especially when considering and including some/all the other bespoke V8 Engine essential upgrades that we offer in our listings.
A Quick list of the benefits attainable when upgrading to the FSE regulator:
- Enhanced & far crisper throttle response;
- Increased fuel economy achieved through increased 'fuel burn' efficiency;
- Removal of lethargic performance and engine flat spots;
- Very noticeable engine performance gains under normal driving as well as sports mode;
- Enthusiastic acceleration. More smiles-per-mile!!
To see how easy it is to replace your fuel regulator with a this FSE Regulator (Power boost valve), please have a look at our 3-page simple step-by-step installation guide found at
http://www.v8engines.com/knowledge/Instructions/FSE-Hotwire.html also available via email.
What is included in this kit:
- 1 Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.
- 1 Adaptor Plate to replace the original fuel pressure regulator.
- 1 Length of Fuel pipe and Vacuum pipe.
- Fixings - Including bracket, screws, hose clips and instructions.
- Pressure gauge for ease of setting up.
Checking your old original std. regulator
To check your original regulator you must test the fuel rail pressure and then suck on the vacuum hose to check the diaphragm integrity but in all cases its best to upgrade them even if not faulty. Please carry out these checks because the minimum you will need if they fail is to fit the lower cost standard regulator.
We supply Fuel Regulators, Gauges, Filters, Sensors, ECU Chipping,Injectors Fuel pumps, Air flow Meters, Diagnostics etc etc. In fact almost anything you need for your Rover V8 engine can always be found in our listings.
The RPi Complete 5 Part Ignition Kit
A brand new Ignition upgrade kit containing all you need to increase & enhance performance, efficiency and reliability of the somewhat compromised original Rover Ignition system.
For more detailed information on Magnecor wires and our A&R amp that are included here please see our other listings.
Part 1 - Brand New Distributor suitable for almost all Rover V8s.
A complete brand new distributor with new drive gear, vacuum advance unit. original amp, Cap and rotor arm.
This item is suitable as a direct replacement for all post 1976 Rover V8 distributors by upgrading this distributor to run with our exclusive RPi Power Amp (Available in dual timing for LPG engines) which is mounted remotely.
Part 2 - Dual timing A & R Power Amp.
1 Dual timing or Single timing power amplifier, suitable for the Rover V8 engine. An upgrade form the original amplifier (as supplied with the above distributor) giving 100 spark output as apposed to the Rover limited 60% output. Supplied as either the single timing (petrol only) or dual timing (LPG and petrol) version to give you the optimum ignition timing for both fuels.
What is the Advance by Retard system?
LPG is much more economical and just as powerful as petrol, but the issue is with the ignition timing and spark intensity due to the slower flame front of LPG.
When the selected fuel is gas, it is usually beneficial to employ rather more ignition advance than would be used with petrol to achieve best efficiency.
The unit addresses this requirement by allowing the timing to be set up optimally for gas and then automatically retarding the ignition (by an adjustable amount of degrees) when petrol is selected. The automatic retard is activated only when engine revs are greater than 1500, since the unit's accurate operation relies heavily on engine flywheel effect. A diagnostic indicator LED lights up when the automatic retard is active. As revs fall below 1500, the retard does not cut out until below approximately 1200 rpm. This overlap ensures that the unit cannot "hunt" near the switching threshold.
Thus it is possible to have optimum setup for gas while avoiding problems associated with over-advanced timing when switching back to petrol.
The unit contains its own integrated power output stage employing a low-saturation IGBT power transistor for low loss, minimal self-heating, and maximum reliability. The internal circuits are protected against accidental battery reversal. The input circuits allow configuration to suit most types of points and sensor types of distributors. Finally, internal links allow the automatic retard sensitivity to be set to suit 4, 6, or 8-cylinder engines (wiring diagram supplied for the Rover V8 engine).
Some key points:
- Bigger Sparks, Maximum Power & Efficiency Potential, especially when upgrading other areas.
- Our exclusive A&R Power Amp increases spark output from 35KV +/- (new stock) to nearly 50KV.
- Small on the outside - Big Power on the inside.
- Installation in less than 30 minutes without any experience.
- The A&R unit is completely hand built exclusively for us & uses Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) output switch technology.
- If you are not running LPG we can provide a power amp which is designed for just petrol use.
Part 3 - Magnecor Plug Wires 8.0mm Blue
This is for a full set off 8.0mm Blue Magnecor Plug Leads, for 'all' Rover V8 Engines and engine variants fitted in very many different vehicles but will always be delivered correct for your Rover V8 whatever your application.
Magnecor design Origins.
In the beginning. Designed primarily for pure racing engines using racing ignitions, turbo charging and supercharging. The Entire jacket was made from aerospace extreme heat-resistant silicone rubber. Exclusive Magnecor 2.5 mm Metallic Inductance Suppressed Conductor will suppress EMI indefinitely, allowing this cable to be used on all road vehicles with any ignition styles and especially essential for LPG gas converted vehicles.
Please do not confuse Magnecor with cheaper high-street or original equipment leads. Spiral wound leads hand built by Magnecor actually boost spark output and plug gaps can safely be increased by 10-20% due substantial higher spark delivery voltage.
Part 4 - NGK BP6ES Spark Plugs
The NGK spark plugs which we are auctioning here are the BP6ES (19.0mm thread reach) which we fit into all post 1976 cylinder heads fitted to the Rover V8 applications.
The Plugs we use are the plugs we recommend, NGK is our Choice
NGK has the technology to produce plugs for every type of automotive engine, as well as for motorcycles, marine, horticultural and many other applications. In fact NGK produces and stocks over 1,000 different types of plug. Each one matches even the most demanding manufacturers' specifications. Which is no doubt why NGK are the world's No.1 spark plug.
Part 5 - Bosch Ignition Coil
This is a 12V Bosch coil, part number PRC6574G. We never use upgraded, "mega spark output" coils as they simply burn amplifiers out and cause running issues (ones that you would never blame on a newly fitted coil :-) for this reason we use this Bosch coil with our amplifier for the ultimate in ignition output.
Items included in the 5 Part Ignition Section of this Kit
- High Quality brand new re-manufactured Distributor
- Including our bespoke A&R Ignition Power Amplifier
- Plus Magnecor 8.00mm Plug Leads
- Set of V8 NGK BP6ES Spark Plugs
- Bosch ignition coil
Specific details that we need from you upon purchasing this system.
- It is essential that you tell us the complete spec. of your existing engine to ensure the correct components are supplied.
- We are offering either the single or dual timing amplifier, please let us know which one you require upon purchasing, else we will default to sending the single timing.
- Upon Purchasing a set of Magnecor Leads please let us know what vehicle you wish to fit to, so we can be sure of sending the correct leads. If you have a coil lead length of over 22 inches please contact us first.