Product informationIn our opinion this is the best value for money new two wheel drive gearbox on the market. This listing is for a complete Mazda gearbox conversion for the Rover V8 engine, listed here with everything needed to bolt in to a factory V8 MG B GT but also adaptable to suit any Rover V8 application. We may also be able to supply the gearbox, bell housing and clutch assembly separately for kit car applications. Bolt in kits are available for the Morgan +8 1972-2004 as well as V8 converted MG B's, please enquire.
As time goes on, more and more LT77 and R380 boxes are starting to show their age, in a lot of cases with syncros starting wear or bearings starting to whine, especially with the newest of them being over 20 years old. Parts for them are also becoming harder to get hold of meaning it's sometimes a case of not how much it costs to rebuild, but a question of if it can be done at all. Even if you do manage to find all the parts you need, at its core either box will still be a modified Land Rover gearbox with the somewhat "agricultural" feel that brings. But at last, there is a better way. The star of the show in this kit is a brand new Mazda 5 speed gearbox (with 12 month manufacturing defect warranty), which is a far superior gearbox with a shorter, more direct feeling throw between gears much more suited to a lightweight sports car. Alongside this, the gearbox alone is 23kg lighter than an R380 (with the gearbox and bell housing weighing in at under 40kg combined) and the ratios much more evenly spread, making for a superior driving experience all round.
We have tested this gearbox set up on an MG B GT in our workshop, which had one of our 4.6 litre stage 3 engines fitted and found the kit to bolt straight in and did everything that we asked of it when test driving. In terms of power ratings, there are companies who use these gearboxes on turbocharged Mazdas with 300bhp and still offer a warranty. Between this and our own testing on the 4.6 stage 3, we are confident this box will be capable of handling pretty much anything that can be thrown at it. However there are many factors to consider such as how the car is used and traction available. Please contact us if you require any further information.
- 1st: 3.136:1
- 2nd: 1.888:1
- 3rd: 1.333:1
- 4th: 1.000:1
- 5th: 0.814:1
- Brand new Mazda 5 Speed Gearbox
- Bell housing to suit Rover V8 engine
- Modified rear case with mechanical speedo drive assembly
- Concentric slave cylinder assembly
- Clutch friction plate
- Clutch cover plate
- Bell housing dirt shield
- Bespoke gear lever and knob to fit in original position
- Braided clutch hydraulic line and remote bleed line
- Custom prop shaft to fit MG B GT
- Spigot bush with Mazda needle roller bearing assembly
- Speedo drive cable and angle drive
- Gearbox mounting bracket and isolator
- UNF Fixings kit with Geomet coating
- Clutch alignment tool
In short, absolutely everything needed to convert your MG B to a modern gearbox - without any modifications to the body.
- The kit in this listing is for a factory V8 MG B GT, however kits are available for the Morgan +8 and V8 converted MG B's too
- The gearbox and bell housing may also be available separately by request, please contact us for more information
- OE Mazda parts are used wherever possible ensuring that parts will be available for years to come
- Please note that your speedometer may need to be re-calibrated in some instances. This is a service we can provide if necessary, please contact us
- Dimensions of this gearbox can be found on our youtube channel.
- In our opinion, this is the best value for money new two wheel drive gearbox on the market.