Included in this listing is an RPi camshaft kit containing a Piper camshaft, standard Thor/Motronic timing chain set, OEM or Kent tappets and a set of high quality gaskets required to complete the job as well as full lifetime RPi assistance should you need any help with installation. The kit here is suitable for a 4.0 or 4.6 Thor engines as found in the Land Rover Discovery 2 and Range Rover P38 from 1999 onwards - it can be identified by the "bunch of bananas" intake manifold on top of the engine, which is unique to the Thor injection system. If you are unsure, please send a photo of your engine bay to email@example.com and we will help identify your engine.
- High quality Piper camshaft - the only make of camshaft we'll use in our own engines.
- Standard timing chain set suitable for Thor/Motronic applications only
- Hydraulic tappets - the only type suitable
- Cam kits for other engines are available - please enquire
- Includes all the gaskets required to complete the job.
Which cam best suits my needs?Piper Torquemax
Like the name suggests, this camshaft aims for torque at the bottom to mid rev range, making it the perfect choice for four wheel drive applications such as Land Rovers and Range Rovers (especially if used for towing), as well as heavier saloons such as the Rover P5, P6 and SD1 which are still on standard heads
A power increase in the mid rev range with a good increase in usable torque to boot, the Piper 270 is great for light 2wd cars in standard form such as MG B's and Morgans, or saloons and Land Rovers which have been upgraded to stage 1 heads or beyond. Those of you with automatic gearboxes on standard engines will also find the Piper 270 suitable, as the slip of the torque converter naturally pushes the RPM of the engine further to the middle, where the 270 comes into its power band. ECU remapping is recommended when using the 270 camshaft, please see the fuelling section of this website for more info.
This is our stage 3 camshaft, bespoke to RPi Engineering. Set up for more power at the top of the rev range, while still keeping a smooth idle and driveability at low revs and low speeds and no noticeable loss of torque. Stage 1 or above cylinder heads and ECU chipping are recommended when using the Storm camshaft
The power band gets shifted even further up, please contact RPi to discuss this camshaft before purchasing.
What's included in the kit?
- Piper or Kent Camshaft - make your choice using the drop down box above
- A set of Kent hydraulic tappets/lifters
- A standard timing chain set suitable for Thor front covers / injection systems
- Inlet manifold gasket & end seals
- Thor upper intake manifold gasket
- Pair rubber rocker cover gaskets
- Timing cover gasket
- Water pump gasket
- Sump gasket
- Neoprene front crank seal
- A sachet of cam lubricant
- Shim kits for setting tapped pre-load are available and essential for all work involving camshaft, valves or rocker assemblies
- Never re-use your original tappets - doing so will cause accelerated wear of the camshaft
- Always inspect your oil pump gears, and replace them if there are signs of scoring or damage
- Push rods are low-cost and should be replaced if at all worn
- Rockers and rocker shafts should be inspected for signs of wear or breakage