Product informationIncluded in this listing is an RPi camshaft kit containing a Piper camshaft, standard Thor/Motronic timing chain set, OEM tappets and a set of high quality gaskets required to complete the job as well as full lifetime RPi telephone assistance should you need any help with installation. The kit here is suitable for a 4.0 or 4.6 Thor engines as found in the Land Rover Discovery 2 and Range Rover P38 from 1999 onwards. This is the very same kit that we at RPi would use in our own Thor engines so you can be sure of excellent quality in every part.
- High quality Piper camshaft - the only make of camshaft we'll use in our own engines.
- Standard timing chain set suitable for Thor/Motronic applications only
- OEM hydraulic tappets - the only type suitable
- Cam kits for other engines are available - please enquire
- Includes top inlet manifold gasket, sump gasket, and water pump gasket as well as all other gaskets required to fit the camshaft kit
Which cam best suits my needs?Piper Torquemax
Like the name suggests, this camshaft aims for torque at the bottom to mid rev range, making it the perfect choice for four wheel drive applications such as Land Rovers and Range Rovers (especially if used for towing), as well as heavier saloons such as the Rover P5, P6 and SD1 which are still on standard heads
Aimed toward a power increase in the mid rev range with a good increase in usable torque to boot, the Piper 270 is great for light 2wd cars in standard form such as MG B's and Morgans, or heavier saloons and Land Rovers which have been upgraded to stage 1 heads or beyond.
This is our stage 3 camshaft, bespoke to RPi Engineering. Set up for more power at the top of the rev range, while still keeping a smooth idle and driveability at low revs and low speeds and no noticeable loss of torque. Stage 1 or above cylinder heads and ECU chipping are recommended when using the Storm camshaft
The power band gets shifted even further up, please contact RPi to discuss this camshaft before purchasing.
- Shim kits for setting tapped pre-load are available and essential for all work involving camshaft, valves or rocker assemblies
- Never re-use your original tappets - doing so will cause accelerated wear of the camshaft
- Timing chains are normally badly stretched and will always need replacing
- Push rods are low-cost and should be replaced if at all worn
- Rockers and rocker shafts should be inspected for signs of wear or breakage