Product informationIncluded in this listing is an RPi camshaft kit containing a Piper camshaft, Kent full vernier timing chain set, OEM tappets and a set of high quality gaskets required to complete the job as well as full lifetime RPi assistance should you need any help with installation. The kit here is suitable for any size Rover V8 which uses a v-belt or Serpentine front end and requires an extra degree of adjustability but is not compatible with GEMS or Thor injection systems.
- Piper or Kent camshaft - see below for details on each option we have available
- Kent full vernier timing chain set with adjustable Vernier cam gear
- Hydraulic tappets - the only type suitable
- Cam kits for other engines are available - please enquire
- Allen key and timing wheel included
Which cam best suits my needs?
Like the name suggests, this camshaft gives torque at the bottom to mid rev range, making it the perfect choice for four wheel drive applications such as Land Rovers and Range Rovers (especially if used for towing), as well as heavier saloons such as the Rover P5, P6 and SD1 which are still on standard heads
We now offer the Kent 180 camshaft as an option on our camshaft kits for earlier Rover V8 engines with distributor driven ignition systems. The Kent H180 sits between the Piper Torquemax and Piper 270 in terms of driving characteristics, and is a great choice when you can't quite decide between the two. We have also found it great with Hotwire EFi systems with Lambda loop enabled, where the Piper 270 camshaft might give a slightly lumpy idle.
A power increase in the mid rev range with a good increase in usable torque to boot, the Piper 270 is great for light 2wd cars in standard form such as MG B's, Morgans and TVR's, or saloons and Land Rovers which have been upgraded to stage 1 heads or beyond. Those of you with automatic gearboxes on standard engines will also find the Piper 270 suitable, as the slip of the torque converter naturally pushes the RPM of the engine further to the middle, where the 270 comes into its power band.
Piper 270i (injection):
The 270i camshaft has similar characteristics to the 270 detailed above, however the profile is altered slightly to suit a Rover V8 engine fuelled by an injection system, which require more intake vacuum than a carburettor setup to get the correct air/fuel mixture at low engine RPM. ECU chipping is recommended when using the 270i camshaft
More power at the top of the rev range, this is the most 'radical' camshaft option we have available and may cause a slightly lumpy idle. Stage 1 or above cylinder heads and ECU chipping are especially recommended when using the 285 camshaft. Please contact email@example.com if you require more information.
What's included in the kit?
- Piper or Kent Camshaft - make your choice using the drop down box above
- A set of OEM hydraulic tappets
- A Kent full vernier timing chain set suitable for V-belt or intermediate Serpentine front covers
- Inlet manifold gasket & end seals
- Pair rubber rocker cover gaskets
- Timing cover gasket
- Neoprene front crank seal
- A sachet of cam lubricant
- Shim kits for setting tapped pre-load are available and essential for all work involving camshaft, valves or rocker assemblies
- Never re-use your original tappets - doing so will cause accelerated wear of the camshaft
- Always inspect your oil pump gears, and replace them if there are signs of scoring or damage
- Push rods are low-cost and should be replaced if at all worn
- Rockers and rocker shafts should be inspected for signs of wear or breakage
|Piper & Kent