Product informationIncluded in this listing is an RPi camshaft kit containing a Piper or Kent camshaft, standard timing chain set, Kent tappets and a set of high quality gaskets required to complete the job, as well as full lifetime RPi assistance should you need any help with installation. The kit here is suitable for any Rover V8 engine with a distributor and is the very same kit that we at RPi would use in our own engines, so you can be sure of excellent quality in every part.
Please select your camshaft and tell us which front end your engine has using the drop down menus above. Details of the camshafts are below, and if you are unsure which front end your engine is fitted with then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, with a picture of your engine bay, showing as much of the front of the engine as possible
- High quality Piper or Kent camshaft - see below to help make your decision on which cam offers the best characteristics for you
- Offered with a standard timing chain set, making this kit suitable for all Rover V8's fitted with a distributor.
- Hydraulic tappets - the only type suitable for the Rover V8
- Cam kits for other engines are available - please enquire
Which cam best suits my needs?
Like the name suggests, this camshaft gives torque at the bottom to mid rev range, making it the perfect choice for four wheel drive applications such as Land Rovers and Range Rovers (especially if used for towing), as well as heavier saloons such as the Rover P5, P6 and SD1 which are still on standard heads
We now offer the Kent 180 camshaft as an option on our camshaft kits for earlier Rover V8 engines with distributor driven ignition systems. The Kent H180 sits between the Piper Torquemax and Piper 270 in terms of driving characteristics, and is a great choice when you can't quite decide between the two. We have also found it great with Hotwire EFi systems with Lambda loop enabled, where the Piper 270 camshaft might give a slightly lumpy idle.
A power increase in the mid rev range with a good increase in usable torque to boot, the Piper 270 is great for light 2wd cars in standard form such as MG B's, Morgans and TVR's, or saloons and Land Rovers which have been upgraded to stage 1 heads or beyond. Those of you with automatic gearboxes on standard engines will also find the Piper 270 suitable, as the slip of the torque converter naturally pushes the RPM of the engine further to the middle, where the 270 comes into its power band.
Piper 270i (injection):
The 270i camshaft has similar characteristics to the 270 detailed above, however the profile is altered slightly to suit a Rover V8 engine fuelled by an injection system, which require more intake vacuum than a carburettor setup to get the correct air/fuel mixture at low engine RPM. ECU chipping is recommended when using the 270i camshaft
More power at the top of the rev range, while still keeping a smooth idle and driveability at low revs and low speeds and no noticeable loss of torque. Stage 1 or above cylinder heads and ECU chipping are especially recommended when using the 285 camshaft
What's included in the kit?
- Piper or Kent Camshaft - make your choice using the drop down box above
- A set of Kent hydraulic tappets/lifters
- A standard timing chain set suitable for V-belt or intermediate Serpentine front covers
- Inlet manifold gasket & end seals
- Pair rubber rocker cover gaskets
- Timing cover gasket
- Neoprene front crank seal
- A sachet of cam lubricant
- Shim kits for setting tapped pre-load are available and essential for all work involving camshaft, valves or rocker assemblies
- Never re-use your original tappets - doing so will cause accelerated wear of the camshaft
- Always inspect your oil pump gears and replace if you see signs of scoring or damage
- Push rods are low-cost and should be replaced if at all worn
- Rockers and rocker shafts should be inspected for signs of wear or breakage